Re: In the belly of the beast (MySQLCon) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: In the belly of the beast (MySQLCon)
Date
Re: In the belly of the beast (MySQLCon)  (Geoffrey <lists@serioustechnology.com>)
List pgsql-general
Geoffrey wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:30:18 -0400
>> Geoffrey <lists@serioustechnology.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know that slony is the answer.  It was more of a question
>>> then an answer.  We are hoping to use that solution to migrate from
>>> 7.4.19 to 8.3.1.  The primary reason is to reduce downtime.
>>
>> Well :) That is why I asked the questions I did. It very well may be
>> the answer. It might not. For example, what size is your database? How
>> many transactions per hour are you doing?
>
> We have 13 separate databases, not terribly large, my WAG would be that
> our largest database might have 30 million rows.  I couldn't honestly
> tell you how many trans/hour we are doing without doing a little
> research.

I find it pretty unlikely that Slony would be unable to help you upgrade
here.  Obviously you can upgrade one database at a time.

Also, mostly it's not the database size what's a concern, but rather the
size of the largest table.