Re: Patch queue -> wiki - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Patch queue -> wiki
Date
Re: Patch queue -> wiki  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> BTW, Greg Stark already dumped the patch queue into a wiki page some
> time ago: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest:Bruce  Do you think
> that's more useful than the other commitfest layout?  I don't.

No.

The bottom line is that I used to do this tracking in my own mailboxes
but people wanted to see what was outstanding so the web pages were
created.

Basically a Wiki takes 10x more time for me to modify something, so
unless I get another 9 people to do the same amount of work I do on
tracking, we are going to fall behind.  I am not willing to increase the
amount of time I already spend doing this.  Perhaps distributed over the
community there will be 9x more time spent on tracking, but I doubt it.

I think ultimately we are going to have to remove the patches email list
and require patch submitters to add their patches to a patch tracker.
Then all patch discussion will happen on hackers and in the patch
tracker.  I will continue to gather TODO emails, but those are not
time-sensitive and few people seem to want to work on that.

Frankly, few people seem to want to apply patches either.  :-)  Even
with two patch queue web sites, Tom is doing the bulk of the work.  I
kept some of the easy ones in the queue for a long time hoping people
would at least take those, but no one did.  I am doing them at this
point because we want this commit fest to be over.

Also frankly, I feel I am hearing, "Oh, we want to help but we don't
know what to do", and when you show people what to do, they don't help.

Yes, I am disapointed.  If someone can explain why I shouldn't feel
disapointed, I would love to hear it.

If you want I will take my web pages offline and the community can see
how it does with tracking.   I will keep my mbox current just in case.

http://enterprisedb.com