Re: Patch queue -> wiki - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Patch queue -> wiki
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:
> "Greg Smith" <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
>
> > He wants to know how to automate turning an entire mbox file full of them into
> > wiki markup, now how to do one at a time.  Other people have been running such
> > tools for Bruce but he doesn't have one he can become comfortable with running
> > himself yet.
>
> Well since we stuck with the mbox for the March commitfest there's no need to
> do a batch migration. We'll just start with a wiki page for the May
> commitfest. There are only a handful of lines to put in the May commitfest and
> I think Alvaro's already put them in.

Yeah, the May commitfest page is already up.  I have been requesting
patch submitters to add their entries there.

The problem we had with the 20000 emails was that we didn't have any
record of patches waiting for review -- a problem that we will hopefully
have only once.  I would expect our next release (this one) to not have
such a long queue of things, because of the whole commitfest idea.

I agree with what some are saying here: there's no automatic
notification when we add, remove or change status of patches, or other
issues.  I did voice my opinion that I thought a wiki page was not a
real tracker.  Hopefully, in working with the wiki we will gather enough
experience that we'll be able to decide _how_ we want our tracker to
work -- if we decide we want to switch from the wiki at all.

BTW, Greg Stark already dumped the patch queue into a wiki page some
time ago: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest:Bruce  Do you think
that's more useful than the other commitfest layout?  I don't.