Re: postgre vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date
Re: postgre vs MySQL  (paul rivers <rivers.paul@gmail.com>)
Re: postgre vs MySQL  (David Wall <d.wall@computer.org>)
List pgsql-general
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:13:14 -0700
> paul rivers <rivers.paul@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > For a database of InnoDB tables, people tend to replicate the
> > database, and then backup the slave (unless the db is trivially
>
> That recalled me the *unsupported* feeling I have that it is easier
> to setup a HA replication solution on MySQL.

Well, if you have a crappy system that cannot sustain concurrent load or
even be backed up concurrently with regular operation, one solution is
to write a kick-ass replication system.

The other solution is to enhance the ability of the system to deal with
concurrent operation.

We keep hearing how great all those Web 2.0 sites are; Slashdot, Flickr,
etc; and they all run on farms and farms of MySQL servers, "because
MySQL replication is so good".  I wonder if replication is an actual
_need_ or it's there just because the other aspects of the system are so
crappy.