Re: postgre vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Wall
Subject Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
> Well, if you have a crappy system that cannot sustain concurrent load or
> even be backed up concurrently with regular operation, one solution is
> to write a kick-ass replication system.

Still, it would be nice to have a kick-ass replication system for PG,
too.  We've been toying with WAL archiving and backup db recovery, which
works pretty well it seems as it appears to support all of our tables
(not just those with an explicit primary key) and does the DDL stuff for
creating/altering/dropping tables, columns, etc.

The downside is that the backup is not operational in order to run even
run a SELECT against, and because it's asynchronous in nature, there's
always a window of data loss for transactions written to the WAL that
haven't been archived yet.

David