Re: Sun buys MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Peterson
Subject Re: Sun buys MySQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
2008-01-16_18:23:31-0500 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>:
> Ron,
>
> > No deals with devils.
>
> But wouldn't that disqualify being bought out?

Not necessarily.  Corporations and free software aren't necessarily
incompatible.  What's wrong with a company giving you a bunch of money
to do what you were already doing anyway?  Why would they do that?
Because they are afraid you might could be purchased by some one else
with other intentions.  For marketing reasons.  Because they believe in
what you are doing.

I was talking to some of the Berkeley DBXML guys at OracleOpenworld in
SF recently.  They seem very happy.  I asked them if they had felt
pressured to change their development methodologies, their vision, their
license.  No to all of that - which to me was a real surprise.

That's not the kind of world I inhabit, so I'm certainly no expert on
these matters, but it's certainly something to chew on.  "PostgreSQL
Developers Make Good" is a headline I wouldn't mind seeing someday.

-Ron-