Re: hibernate + postgresql ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Fetter
Subject Re: hibernate + postgresql ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 08:10:11AM +0100, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> On Thursday 29 November 2007 Joshua D. Drake's cat, walking on the keyboard,
> wrote:
> > If you are not lazy you can push outside the standard hibernate
> > methods and produce very usable code but then you have to wonder
> > why you have hibernate there at all.
>
> What do you mean with this? I think ORM could save developers' time
> especially when there are a lot of relationships among objects, that
> should be manually mapped thru SQL statements.

You'd only think so if you hadn't actually seen these things in
action.  They save no time because of the silly, unreasonable
assumptions underlying them, which in turn cause people to do silly,
unreasonable things in order to make them "work."

> Now what do you mean with "push outside hibernate methods"?  You
> write the each SQL statement or simply skip some Hibernate
> facilities?

You'll wind up writing each SQL statement anyway, so just start out
with that rather than imagining that a piece of software can pick the
appropriate level of abstraction and then finding out that it can't. :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!