Re: Wrote a connect-by feature - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bertram Scharpf
Subject Re: Wrote a connect-by feature
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Am Samstag, 11. Aug 2007, 10:22:24 -0400 schrieb Andrew Dunstan:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >I believe this patch is an update to the table_funcs contrib module.
> >

> I spent 2 minutes looking. It has no Makefile and no comments. It
> doesn't use our code conventions either. At that stage I stopped looking.
>
> The author needs to spend some time looking at the developer
> documentation and perusing the lists to see what our requirements are if
> he wants to be taken seriously.

I added a Makefile and a README. I scanned the Developers
FAQ but found no pointer to any coding conventions. I at
least changed the SQL keywords to upper case although in my
eyes this is rather a bad habit than a convention.

It compiles and installs correctly as well standalone as in
the contribs directory.
 <http://www.bertram-scharpf.de/tmp/connectby.tar.gz>
or $ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@bertram-scharpf.homelinux.com:/var/cvsroot/open export -D now connectby

> Also, he needs to understand that the best way to go about
> such a project is to float ideas first, code later, not
> the other way around.

All I wanted to do is to float an idea by presenting a piece
of code that does what I mean instead of describing what it
should do if I considered right. In fact the most aspects
intruded when I wrote it, not when I wrote about it. Sorry
for any inconvenience.

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf