Re: Wrote a connect-by feature - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Wrote a connect-by feature
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Bertram Scharpf wrote:

> All I wanted to do is to float an idea by presenting a piece
> of code that does what I mean instead of describing what it
> should do if I considered right.

But that's exactly what I was making a point about. If you want to get
something included in PostgreSQL (and that's what the -hackers list is
about, after all) then writing code first is the wrong way to go about
it. You need to discuss the idea and implementation before you write a
single line of code, or you run the risk that it will be pretty much
rejected out of hand. If you had perused the mailing list archives you
would have found that thjis subject has come up before, and as Tom Lane
told you we are really only interested in the SQL standard way of doing
this.

In addition, presenting a piece of code that has not a single comment is
not likely to advance your cause at all.

You say you read the Developers FAQ, but you clearly ignored this entry:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_DEV.html#item1.4

>  In fact the most aspects
> intruded when I wrote it, not when I wrote about it.

I don't understand this sentence.

>  Sorry
> for any inconvenience.

There's no inconvenience (except possibly to you). I wouldn't have
replied at all except that you didn't seem to understand why people
didn't embrace your code with unalloyed enthusiasm and joy.

cheers

andrew