Re: pg_dump/pg_dumpall - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Alan Hodgson
Subject Re: pg_dump/pg_dumpall
Date
Re: pg_dump/pg_dumpall  ("Andrew C. Uselton" <acuselton@lbl.gov>)
List pgsql-novice
On Friday 10 August 2007 11:49, "Andrew C. Uselton" <acuselton@lbl.gov>
wrote:
> uselton]# pg_dumpall   > /tmp/osp5_pgsql.dump
> Password:
> pg_dumpall: could not connect to database "template1": FATAL:
> Password authentication failed for user "root"
>
> If it really is asking for the 'root' password I am certainly giving
> it correctly.  I am root as I issue the command as well.  I've tried
> a few other guesses at what it might _really_ be wanting (including
> using an explicit '-h host -p port'), but with no better luck.  Any
> hints would be most appreciated. Cheers,

It is trying to connect as root, because you're logged in to your OS as
root, but there probably isn't a root user in the database.

You need to connect as a database superuser to do a backup. The normal
default superuser is "postgres".  Where it gets its password from or
even if it requires one depends on your configuration.

--
"Democracies survive only until the voters discover that they can vote
themselves largesse from the public treasury ..." -- Alexander Tyler