Re: pg_dump/pg_dumpall - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Relyea, Mike
Subject Re: pg_dump/pg_dumpall
Date
List pgsql-novice
Try adding "-U postgres" to connect as the correct user.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/app-pg-dumpall.html

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Andrew C.
Uselton
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 2:49 PM
To: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
Subject: [NOVICE] pg_dump/pg_dumpall

Greetings,
  I was just trying to get a live backup of my database and had the
following error:

uselton]# pg_dumpall   > /tmp/osp5_pgsql.dump
Password:
pg_dumpall: could not connect to database "template1": FATAL:  Password
authentication failed for user "root"

If it really is asking for the 'root' password I am certainly giving it
correctly.  I am root as I issue the command as well.  I've tried a few
other guesses at what it might _really_ be wanting (including using an
explicit '-h host -p port'), but with no better luck.  Any hints would
be most appreciated.
Cheers,
Andrew

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq