Re: pg_dump/pg_dumpall - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Andrew C. Uselton
Subject Re: pg_dump/pg_dumpall
Date
List pgsql-novice
I am beginning to understand a little better.  Our database is
configured with the pg_hba.conf entry (the only entry):

local all all            md5 sameuser

The database cluster was created (initdb) in the default way, with no
-pwpromt.  Either a superuser password was never created or (less
likely) we just don't know what it is.  According to the administrative
reference if there is no superuser password you can't authenticate
against the "postgres" superuser at all.  This appears to be harmless
(i.e. not having a superuser password) for things like (as root):

su -l postgres -c "/usr/bin/createuser ..."

but also from the administrative reference I see that pg_dump and
pg_dumpall are going to require that I provide the appropriate password,
which will fail if the password was never set.  So it seems to me I need
to figure out how to set that password after the fact.  Is this possible?
-a