Re: Reordering columns, will this ever be simple? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Reordering columns, will this ever be simple?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 11:37:11AM -0500, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> If the danger of implementing this is some subtle bug that eats my
> data, I'd just as soon do without.  It's not a feature I've ever felt
> the need for really.  And there are lots of cool features I could
> think of I'd want before this.

What I'm more interested in the possibility of rearranging the physical
order of columns at the CREATE TABLE stage to optimise access to
various fields (move fixed width fields to front) and to minimise cost
of padding of said fields.

I imagine this could provide useful savings on wide tables and
multicolumn indexes, but you have to decouple logical and physical
ordering to do it.

But this is a thoroughly dead horse, lets not beat it up again.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment