autovacuum default parameters (was Re: 8.2 is 30% better in pgbench than 8.3) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject autovacuum default parameters (was Re: 8.2 is 30% better in pgbench than 8.3)
Date
Re: autovacuum default parameters (was Re: 8.2 is 30% better in pgbench than 8.3)  (ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@oss.ntt.co.jp>)
Re: autovacuum default parameters  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:

> Did we also reach any consensus about lowering the percentage of dead tuples
> in a table before we trigger vacuum? I think 20% is way too high and 5% is
> saner. I actually think it would be better even lower but would be ok with 5%.

We didn't, but while I agree with the idea, I think 5% is too low.  I
don't want autovacuum to get excessively aggressive.  Is 10% not enough?

How about the analyze scale factor, should we keep the current 10%?  I
have less of a problem with reducing it further since analyze is cheaper
than vacuum.