Re: autovacuum default parameters (was Re: 8.2 is 30% better in pgbench than 8.3) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: autovacuum default parameters (was Re: 8.2 is 30% better in pgbench than 8.3)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:

>> Did we also reach any consensus about lowering the percentage of dead tuples
>> in a table before we trigger vacuum? I think 20% is way too high and 5% is
>> saner. I actually think it would be better even lower but would be ok with 5%.
>
> We didn't, but while I agree with the idea, I think 5% is too low.  I
> don't want autovacuum to get excessively aggressive.  Is 10% not enough?

It depends really. 10% on a small table seems like a waste except that
small tables are quick to vacuum. 10% on a table with 20 million rows,
is a lot of dead rows.

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/