Re: Problem with oids for table names getting out of sync? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Problem with oids for table names getting out of sync?
Date
List pgsql-general
omar wrote:

> >>SELECT relfilenode, relname FROM pg_class WHERE relname !~ '^(pg_|sql_)'
> >>AND relkind = 'r'
> >>
> >            Oid o = PQftable(_res, i);
> >

> >Um ... are you laboring under some delusion about relfilenode being the
> >same as relation OID?
> >

> Apparently I am.  libpq docs claim that "You can query the system table
> pg_class to determine exactly which table is referenced." for PQftable.
> I query pg_class and the only column that looks remotely like a unique
> oid is relfilenode.

select oid, relname from pg_class where ...

relfilenode is just the file name given to the table, which is the same
as the OID when the table is just created, but changes after certain
operations (CLUSTER, TRUNCATE, REINDEX for indexes, maybe others)