Re: Synchronized Scan update - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Synchronized Scan update
Date
List pgsql-hackers
JD,

> Don't get me wrong, I want things to be easily understandable as well
> but the reason you site above pretty much
> makes us need to remove most of the postgresql.conf, including all
> bgwriter, vacuum cost delay, and autovac settings.
> Not to mention commit delay and others ;).

Wouldn't that be nice!

The explosion of GUC settings is primarily a result of not enough information.
The reason there are 7 bgwriter settings, for example, is that we have no
idea what those settings should be and are hoping that people will tinker
with them and tell us.  Someday when I can fully profile bgwriter, we'll just
have one setting: bgwriter_aggressive, set to a number between 0 and 9.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun