Re: Synchronized Scan update - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Synchronized Scan update
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mar 6, 2007, at 9:43 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Don't get me wrong, I want things to be easily understandable as well
>> but the reason you site above pretty much
>> makes us need to remove most of the postgresql.conf, including all
>> bgwriter, vacuum cost delay, and autovac settings.
>> Not to mention commit delay and others ;).
>
> Wouldn't that be nice!
>
> The explosion of GUC settings is primarily a result of not enough
> information.
> The reason there are 7 bgwriter settings, for example, is that we
> have no
> idea what those settings should be and are hoping that people will
> tinker
> with them and tell us.  Someday when I can fully profile bgwriter,
> we'll just
> have one setting: bgwriter_aggressive, set to a number between 0
> and 9.

In the mean time; it would be great for these multiple-settings cases
to be listed somewhere, indicating that it's something we could use
help with. I think that with some explanation of what we're looking
for there's any number of people who could do this kind of profiling.