Re: increasing database connections

From: Magnus Hagander
Subject: Re: increasing database connections
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

increasing database connections  (Shiva Sarna, )
 Re: increasing database connections  ("Jonah H. Harris", )
  Re: increasing database connections  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
   Re: increasing database connections  (Mark Kirkwood, )
    Re: increasing database connections  (Florian Weimer, )
   Re: increasing database connections  (Ron, )
  Re: increasing database connections  (Magnus Hagander, )

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 12:49:14AM -0500, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 3/1/07, Shiva Sarna <> wrote:
> >I am sorry if it is a repeat question but I want to know if database
> >performance will decrease if I increase the max-connections to 2000. At
> >present it is 100.
>
> Most certainly.  Adding connections over 200 will degrade performance
> dramatically.  You should look into pgpool or connection pooling from
> the application.

Are you sure? I've heard of at least one installation which runs with
5000+ connections, and it works fine. (you know who you are - I don't
know if it's public info, so I can't put out the details - but feel free
to fill in :P)

That said, there's certainly some overhead, and using pgpool if possible
is good advice (depending on workload). I'm just wondering about
the "dramatically" part.

//Magnus