Re: increasing database connections - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Florian Weimer
Subject Re: increasing database connections
Date
List pgsql-performance
* Mark Kirkwood:

> Yeah - I thought that somewhere closer to 10000 connections is where
> you get hit with socket management related performance issues.

Huh?  These sockets aren't handled in a single process, are they?
Nowadays, this number of sockets does not pose any problem for most
systems, especially if you don't do I/O multiplexing.  Of course, if
you've got 10,000 connections which are active in parallel, most users
won't be content with 1/10,000th of your database performance. 8-/ (I
don't see why idle connections should be a problem from a socket
management POV, though.)

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99