Re: I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32
Date
Re: I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32  (Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com>)
List pgsql-general

> > Question, I hope stupid, postgres user HAS a password right?
> >
> Yes, it has a password, I set the password from the installer, and I
> even reset it after the install was complete.
> I just tried this from the command line and it let me right in:
>
> psql template1 -U postgres
>
> Didn't ask for a password or anything, and the localhost entry in
> pg_hba.conf is also set for md5.

Does Windows have the equivalent of Unix domain sockets?

On a Unix machine, psql uses unix domain sockets by default, which are
controlled by an entry like:
local   all         all                               trust

The following entry:
# IPv4 local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust

Will only apply if you connect via loopback networking (which is not
psql's default).  Try your connect command like this:
psql template1 -U postgres -h 127.0.0.1
and see if the results change.

--
Bill Moran