Re: Using GIN indexes on 8.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Using GIN indexes on 8.2
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 10 November 2006 14:41, Jeff Davis wrote:

> > > Ah, many thanks. How about updating those web pages? :)
> >
> > Now they are in core:
> > http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/functions-array.html

> > > Perhaps -- is there any documentation on this?
> >
> > Nothing special, just use GIN index instead of GiST.
>
> I think a section showing when to use GiST versus GIN would be very
> helpful (assuming there are still good reasons to use GiST). I would
> certainly read it.

I was wondering this same thing, but it appears the trade-off is disk
space/update speed (GiST) vs. query times (Gin).  Magnus had a couple of nice
posts in his blog you might want to check out:
http://people.planetpostgresql.org/mha/

--
Robert Treat