Re: Using GIN indexes on 8.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: Using GIN indexes on 8.2
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Robert Treat wrote:

>>> Now they are in core:
>>> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/functions-array.html

>>> Nothing special, just use GIN index instead of GiST.
>>
>> I think a section showing when to use GiST versus GIN would be very
>> helpful (assuming there are still good reasons to use GiST). I would
>> certainly read it.
>>

> I was wondering this same thing, but it appears the trade-off is disk
> space/update speed (GiST) vs. query times (Gin).  Magnus had a couple of nice
> posts in his blog you might want to check out:
> http://people.planetpostgresql.org/mha/

This is written in tsearch2 documentation
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/docs/tsearch2-ref.html#indexes
Also, see our slides
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/wiki/tsearch2slides

The best practice is to use GIN for archive search and GiST for online one.
Table inheritabce with CE would help maintaining of good search performance
and fast update.

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83