Re: lots of values for IN() clause - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: lots of values for IN() clause
Date
Re: lots of values for IN() clause  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Hello Alvaro,
>
> yeah, thanks, that's it. postgresql.conf had:
>
> max_stack_depth = 8192                  # min 100, size in KB
>
> I don't know who put it at 8192. According to the fine manual at [1], it
> should be set to something below 'ulimit -s', which gives 8192 on the
> machine in question. I've now set it to 7000 and I also get a warning
> instead of a SEGFAULT.

I notice it crashes with max_stack_depth set to 8173, but correctly
detects the error with max_stack_depth set to 8172.  The doc suggests a
safety margin of "a megabyte or so", so I think we are conforming to our
docs here.

Tom recently added a check for getrlimit(RLIMIT_STACK), but I don't know
if that considered the "megabyte or so".  *peeks the code*  Yeah,
there's a 512 kb "daylight", but there's also an absolute maximum of
2MB.