Re: postgresql rising - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philip Hallstrom
Subject Re: postgresql rising
Date
List pgsql-general

>>> I think that description is false.  At a certain point in the management
>>> hierarchy, the only way anyone has the ability to evaluate something is on
>>> the basis of....
>>>
>>> - if there is someone they can sue.
>>
>> Good luck attempting to sue Microsoft, Oracle or IBM for deficiencies in
>> their database products.
>
> Suing someone is not the real reason.  It's the excuse given to one's
> boss.  The real reason is the "Nobody ever got fired for using IBM"
> mentality.  If you use something that your superiors recognize as the
> industry leader and it doesn't work out, who would blame you?
>
> It's CYA.  And it's wimpy.

Yep.  That's exactly it!

Here's a feel good story for you...

A couple of companies ago where we were small and I got to make the
decisions, we decided to build our app on FreeBSD/PHP/PostgreSQL.  And all
was well, since we were small and people trusted me.  Then we got bought
out by a big company.  The first thing they wanted us to do was rewrite
for Linux/Java/Oracle. Then one of the sales guys wanted us to add
SQLServer support cause it would look good on the feature sheet. Note that
99% of the time this was a hosted solution.  I left about a year ago and
just recently learned that for one of their new products (deployable not
hosted) they were going with PostgreSQL  :-)

-philip