Re: postgresql rising - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: postgresql rising
Date
Re: postgresql rising  (Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>)
Re: postgresql rising  (Philip Hallstrom <postgresql@philip.pjkh.com>)
List pgsql-general

> > > I think that description is false.  At a certain point in the
> > > management hierarchy, the only way anyone has the ability to evaluate
> > > something is on the basis of reputation.
> >
> > I think that description is false.  At a certain point in the management
> > hierarchy, the only way anyone has the ability to evaluate something is on
> > the basis of....
> >
> > - if there is someone they can sue.
>
> Good luck attempting to sue Microsoft, Oracle or IBM for deficiencies in
> their database products.

Suing someone is not the real reason.  It's the excuse given to one's
boss.  The real reason is the "Nobody ever got fired for using IBM"
mentality.  If you use something that your superiors recognize as the
industry leader and it doesn't work out, who would blame you?

It's CYA.  And it's wimpy.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.