Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on

From: Alvaro Herrera
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on
Date: ,
List: pgsql-general

Tree view

Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
 Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Martijn van Oosterhout, )
  Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Bruce Momjian, )
 Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Josh Berkus, )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  (Bruce Momjian, )
      Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  (Alvaro Herrera, )
       Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner, )
        Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  (Martijn van Oosterhout, )
         Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner, )
          Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  (Martijn van Oosterhout, )
         Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  (Peter Eisentraut, )
          Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on  ("Tomi NA", )
     Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Chris Travers, )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Anton de Wet, )
     Training (from Thought provoking...)  (, )
      Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Training (from Thought provoking...)  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
      Re: Training (from Thought provoking...)  (Alban Hertroys, )
     Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Bricklen Anderson, )
      Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
       Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (mdean, )
        Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Anton de Wet, )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Robert Treat, )
    Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Bruno Wolff III, )
     Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Scott Marlowe, )
      Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Ron Johnson, )
       Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Tom Lane, )
        Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Ron Johnson, )
         Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Tom Lane, )
          Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Ron Johnson, )
      Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Shane Ambler, )
       Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Tim Tassonis, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Bruce Momjian, )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
     Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Bill Moran, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Martijn van Oosterhout, )

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:

> > It's pointless to suppose that individual developers would really be
> > answerable to any project-wide management, since that's not who they're
> > paid by.  So I tend to think that a project roadmap would be more of an
> > exercise in wishful thinking than a useful management tool.  OTOH it
> > *could* be useful, if there are any developers out there wondering what
> > they should work on next.  Are there any ... and would they listen to a
> > roadmap if they had one, rather than scratching their own itches?

I would certainly listen to a roadmap if it talked to me ...

> I think the longer someone is with the project the more they start
> working on what is good for the project, rather than what interests
> them.  I think we have seen many cases of that.

On my particular case, I generally grab some problem that I perceive as
important and unhandled, and try to do something to remedy it.  This is
how I got here in the first place, by fixing some problems in the
CLUSTER implementation.  This is how I got to doing shared dependencies,
shared row locks and autovacuum -- neither of them were problems that
affected me in any way.  Savepoints were a different matter.  I chose to
work on them because Bruce and other people on this list suggested them
to me, back when I was looking for something to do my undergrad project
in.

So yes, I'd probably work on something "the community" considered
important.