Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on
Date
List pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:

> > It's pointless to suppose that individual developers would really be
> > answerable to any project-wide management, since that's not who they're
> > paid by.  So I tend to think that a project roadmap would be more of an
> > exercise in wishful thinking than a useful management tool.  OTOH it
> > *could* be useful, if there are any developers out there wondering what
> > they should work on next.  Are there any ... and would they listen to a
> > roadmap if they had one, rather than scratching their own itches?

I would certainly listen to a roadmap if it talked to me ...

> I think the longer someone is with the project the more they start
> working on what is good for the project, rather than what interests
> them.  I think we have seen many cases of that.

On my particular case, I generally grab some problem that I perceive as
important and unhandled, and try to do something to remedy it.  This is
how I got here in the first place, by fixing some problems in the
CLUSTER implementation.  This is how I got to doing shared dependencies,
shared row locks and autovacuum -- neither of them were problems that
affected me in any way.  Savepoints were a different matter.  I chose to
work on them because Bruce and other people on this list suggested them
to me, back when I was looking for something to do my undergrad project
in.

So yes, I'd probably work on something "the community" considered
important.