Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on
Date
List pgsql-general
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>>> It's pointless to suppose that individual developers would really be
>>> answerable to any project-wide management, since that's not who they're
>>> paid by.  So I tend to think that a project roadmap would be more of an
>>> exercise in wishful thinking than a useful management tool.  OTOH it
>>> *could* be useful, if there are any developers out there wondering what
>>> they should work on next.  Are there any ... and would they listen to a
>>> roadmap if they had one, rather than scratching their own itches?
>
> I would certainly listen to a roadmap if it talked to me ...
>
>> I think the longer someone is with the project the more they start
>> working on what is good for the project, rather than what interests
>> them.  I think we have seen many cases of that.
>
> On my particular case, I generally grab some problem that I perceive as
> important and unhandled, and try to do something to remedy it.  This is
> how I got here in the first place, by fixing some problems in the
> CLUSTER implementation.  This is how I got to doing shared dependencies,
> shared row locks and autovacuum -- neither of them were problems that
> affected me in any way.  Savepoints were a different matter.  I chose to
> work on them because Bruce and other people on this list suggested them
> to me, back when I was looking for something to do my undergrad project
> in.
>
> So yes, I'd probably work on something "the community" considered
> important.

heh if this is a request for a wishlist then I would suggest that we
should finally tackle one of the things most databases are doing better
then we (including MySQL) - that is better charset/locale/collate support.
especially for new users or users converting from other database this is
one of the major stumbling blocks (at least as seen on irc regulary)

Stefan