Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on

From: Bruce Momjian
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on
Date: ,
List: pgsql-advocacy

Tree view

Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
 Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Robert Bernier, )
 Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Christopher Petrilli", )
  Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
   Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Josh Berkus, )
    Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
    Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on  (Bruce Momjian, )
      Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on  (Alvaro Herrera, )
     Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on  (Peter Eisentraut, )
    Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Anton de Wet, )
     Training (from Thought provoking...)  (, )
      Re: Training (from Thought provoking...)  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
       Re: Training (from Thought provoking...)  (Robert Bernier, )
        Re: Training (from Thought provoking...)  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
        Re: Training (from Thought provoking...)  (Chander Ganesan, )
    Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Robert Treat, )
    Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Bruno Wolff III, )
   Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Bruce Momjian, )
    Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
   Re: Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Chris Browne, )
 Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Chris Browne, )
 Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (mdean, )
   Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD  (Anton de Wet, )
 On Certification (was Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD)  (Christopher Browne, )
  Re: On Certification (was Re: [GENERAL] Thought  (Anton de Wet, )
  Re: On Certification (was Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD)  (Robert Bernier, )
   Re: On Certification (was Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD)  (Robert Bernier, )
  Re: On Certification (was Re: [GENERAL] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD)  ("Christopher Kings-Lynne", )
   Re: On Certification (was Re: [GENERAL] Thought  (Anton de Wet, )
    Re: On Certification (was Re: [GENERAL] Thought  (Koen Martens, )

Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus <> writes:
> > In general, I think that people who harp on PostgreSQL's lack of a
> > benevolent dictator as an inhibitor to progress are people who are not
> > comfortable with democracy and are looking for excuses why company X needs
> > to "take over the project for its own good."
>
> I don't recall having seen that idea being pushed for Postgres ... not
> seriously anyway.  However, it's certainly true that historically we've
> had effectively *no* project leadership, in the sense of anyone setting
> feature goals for releases or creating a long-term roadmap.  Would we
> be better off if we had done that?  I'm not sure.
>
> It's pointless to suppose that individual developers would really be
> answerable to any project-wide management, since that's not who they're
> paid by.  So I tend to think that a project roadmap would be more of an
> exercise in wishful thinking than a useful management tool.  OTOH it
> *could* be useful, if there are any developers out there wondering what
> they should work on next.  Are there any ... and would they listen to a
> roadmap if they had one, rather than scratching their own itches?

I think the longer someone is with the project the more they start
working on what is good for the project, rather than what interests
them.  I think we have seen many cases of that.

--
  Bruce Momjian