Re: Majordomo drops multi-line Subject: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Majordomo drops multi-line Subject:
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I noticed that Majordomo drops the second and subsequent lines of a
> > Subject: line in message before dispatching for some reason.  It has
> > done this for some time; I noticed it some time ago in pgsql-es-ayuda
> > but I thought it may be a bug in my MUA.  But I just saw it happened to
> > a mail from Bruce as well.
>
> > Is this fixable?
>
> Even though multi-line Subject: is theoretically legal according to the
> RFCs, it's certainly an awful idea; how many MUAs do you know that
> provide more than one line to display the subject in a normal view?
> So I don't really care if Majordomo truncates the subject --- I wouldn't
> see the rest of it anyway.

Huh, but the MUA auto-unfolds it for view.  Both mutt and Elm do that
fine -- the folding and unfolding.  I would think exmh is pretty
thoroughly broken if it didn't.

We can do an experiment and send you a Cc'ed message through the list
and a copy to you directly.  The direct copy should have the full
subject, and the list one would be truncated.