Re: Majordomo drops multi-line Subject: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Majordomo drops multi-line Subject:
Date
List pgsql-general
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Even though multi-line Subject: is theoretically legal according to the
>> RFCs, it's certainly an awful idea; how many MUAs do you know that
>> provide more than one line to display the subject in a normal view?
>> So I don't really care if Majordomo truncates the subject --- I wouldn't
>> see the rest of it anyway.

> Huh, but the MUA auto-unfolds it for view.  Both mutt and Elm do that
> fine -- the folding and unfolding.  I would think exmh is pretty
> thoroughly broken if it didn't.

Well, if I actually choose to read the message, sure I'll see all of it.
The point here is that you've got one line (and only about 50 characters
at that) to get my attention, and so I'm perfectly fine with list
software that, erm, strongly encourages brevity of Subject: headers.
If you're composing a paragraph it ought to be in the message body,
not the subject.

            regards, tom lane