Re: getting type name - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: getting type name
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 02:03:11AM +0300, Tzahi Fadida wrote:
> On Monday 10 July 2006 00:29, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 10:08:42PM +0300, Tzahi Fadida wrote:
> > > They return format_type_be(INT4OID) = "integer" or
> > > format_type_be(FLOAT8OID) = "double precision"
> > > I need to use this in a query with the "::" cast operator.
> >
> > The problem being?
>
> Just if it is a one-to-one conversion, otherwise the same type
> equality functions i use would potentially not work properly.

Well, it is a one-to-one conversion. A float8 == double precision. They
are mapped together very early. Similarly for integer == int4. If you
look in the pg_type table, you'll see there are no entries for
"integer" or "double precision".

The fancy output is mostly for compatability purposes (SQL defines
these names).

Have a nice day,