Re: scaling up postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: scaling up postgres
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:14:44PM +0200, PFC wrote:

> >Uhm... stick with commodity CPUs?
>
>     Hehe, does this include Opterons ?

Absolutely. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if a single model # of Opteron
sold more than all Power CPUs put together...

>     Still, I looked on the "customize your server" link someone posted
>     and  it's amazing ; these things have become cheaper while I wasn't
> looking...
>     You can buy 10 of these boxes with raptors and 4 opteron cores and 8
>     gigs  of RAM for the price of your average marketing boss's car...
> definitely  makes you think doesn't it.

And if you spend that much on CPU for a database, you're likely to be
pretty sadly disappointed, depending on what you're doing.

>     Juts wait until someone equates the price in man-hours to fix/run a
> borken Dell box...

Would probably sound like a Mastercard commercial...

Not having to babysit your servers every day: Priceless