Re: scaling up postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From John Vincent
Subject Re: scaling up postgres
Date
List pgsql-performance
Maybe from a postgresql perspective the cpus may be useless but the memory on the pSeries can't be beat. We've been looking at running our warehouse (PGSQL) in a LoP lpar but I wasn't able to find a LoP build of 8.1.

We've been thrilled with the performance of our DB2 systems that run on AIX/Power 5 but since the DB2 instance memory is limited to 18GB, we've got two 86GB p570s sitting there being under utilized.

FYI,

I've not seen my posts showing up on the list or the archives so I'm hoping this gets through.

On 6/13/06, Jim C. Nasby < jnasby@pervasive.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:14:44PM +0200, PFC wrote:

> >Uhm... stick with commodity CPUs?
>
>       Hehe, does this include Opterons ?

Absolutely. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if a single model # of Opteron
sold more than all Power CPUs put together...

>       Still, I looked on the "customize your server" link someone posted
>       and  it's amazing ; these things have become cheaper while I wasn't
> looking...
>       You can buy 10 of these boxes with raptors and 4 opteron cores and 8
>       gigs  of RAM for the price of your average marketing boss's car...
> definitely  makes you think doesn't it.

And if you spend that much on CPU for a database, you're likely to be
pretty sadly disappointed, depending on what you're doing.

>       Juts wait until someone equates the price in man-hours to fix/run a
> borken Dell box...

Would probably sound like a Mastercard commercial...

Not having to babysit your servers every day: Priceless
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117

       match