Re: Confirmation of bad query plan generated by 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Confirmation of bad query plan generated by 7.4
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 04:35:41PM -0500, Shaun Thomas wrote:
> wrote:
>

> > Is there some compelling reason to stick with 7.4? In my experience
> > you'll see around double (+100%) the performance going to 8.1...
>
> Not really.  We *really* want to upgrade, but we're in the middle of
> buying the new machine right now.  There's also the issue of migrating
> 37GB of data which I don't look forward to, considering we'll need to
> set up a slony replication for the entire thing to avoid the hours
> of downtime necessary for a full dump/restore.

As long as the master isn't very heavily loaded it shouldn't be that big
a deal to do so...

> > What's your stats target set to for that table?
>
> Not sure what you mean by that.  It's just that this table has 27M
> rows
> extending over 4 years, and I'm not quite sure how to hint to that.
> An index scan for a few days would be a tiny fraction of the entire
> table, so PG being insistent on the sequence scans was confusing the
> hell
> out of me.

What's the output of
SELECT attname, attstattarget
    FROM pg_attribute
    WHERE attrelid='table_name'::regclass AND attnum >= 0;
and
SHOW default_statistics_target;

?