Re: How To Exclude True Values - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From
Subject Re: How To Exclude True Values
Date
List pgsql-sql
> > inspect_id, inspect_result_id,
> inspect_result_pass,
> > inspect_result_timestamp
> > 3, 5, f, 2006-06-05 05:00:00
> > 3, 6, t, 2006-06-05 06:00:00
> > 4, 7, f, 2006-06-05 07:00:00
> > *4, 8, f, 2006-06-05 08:00:00*
> > the query linked in this post will return 3
> lines...
> >
> > 1, 2, f
> > 3, 5, f
> > *4, 8, f* -- the only one i really want
>

> From your sample it seems to me that you are really
> only looking for the most recient occuring
> record that have produced a false test regardless of
> which Inspect_id or inspect_result_id it came
> from.  Is this correct?

Richard, not quite.  i have an inspection entry form
and a defect entry form.

an inspection node (each row in t_inspect is an
inspection node) that has passed can't have a new
defect added - since it has already passed.

therefore, in the defect entry form, i only want to
display those inspection nodes that don't have a true
value.  by definition, a true value will always be the
last (by time) inspect_result.

therefore, i need all the inspect nodes that don't yet
have a true value (iow, a true value in the last (by
time) inspect_result_pass row).

an inspection node can have multiple inspection
results, hence, the t_inspection_results table.

this might seem counter-intuitive at first, but it
makes sense since it may take 5 tries to eventually
pass a particular inspection node (f, f, f, f, t) for
fucntional test, for example.  one node, five tests to
pass it.

i went to this model b/c a unit can actually pass
through the various test nodes multiple times.  a unit
might go through the same QA node three times - and i
need to differentiate between these three QA nodes.

if each inspection node only occurred once, i could
use one table and link it a t_inspect_node table.  due
to the multiple passes, though, i can't do this in
this case.

i hope this makes sense.  i'm living it and it is
sometimes hard to keep straight.