Re: Any way to make PG driver obey PrintWarn? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tyler MacDonald
Subject Re: Any way to make PG driver obey PrintWarn?
Date
List pgsql-general
Uwe C. Schroeder <uwe@oss4u.com> wrote:
> Probably because the notice you see is a notice from the database engine,
> not from the driver.

    OK, but in order for them to get to my tty, they have to bubble down
from postgres, through the UNIX/TCP socket I am talking to the driver with,
into DBD::Pg, through DBI, and out through perl's STDERR right? I mean, that
must be right, because if I run my script "2> /dev/null" I don't see this
spam... so it would stand to reason that if DBI provides a "PrintWarn"
option that "controls the printing of warnings recorded by the driver.  When
set to a true value the DBI will check method calls to see if a warning
condition has been set."...

    So it sounds like DBD::Pg isn't thinking to squealch NOTICEs coming
from the server when I ask it to by turning PrintWarn off.

> You can however turn off those notices in postgresql.conf

    Sure I can, or I can do "SET client_min_messages=error", but
shouldn't the DBD::Pg driver do that *for* me when I ask not to see
warnings?

    Thanks,
        Tyler