Re: Should I use PL/PGSQL or Perl/PGSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tyler MacDonald
Subject Re: Should I use PL/PGSQL or Perl/PGSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/3/06, Tyler MacDonald <tyler@yi.org> wrote:
> >         I've been wondering, does anybody know which is more likely to be
> > installed on a postgresql server? Which is faster? I'm writting an
> > application in perl that is going to need to get broad information about
> > heiarchial data (how many parents, settings common on parents, etc), and I'd
> > like to put that data presentation logic into the database.
>
> plpgsql.
>
> for an explanation of my reasoning and a example of how to deal with
> heiarchial data, check out my blog at
> http://people.planetpostgresql.org/merlin/

    Awesome, thanks! I'm using plpgsql now and am slowly getting
comfortable with it. I've attached my first draft of the recursive flag
setting finder; it works, but it's inefficient. I've got a postgres guru
here helping me out and I'll be sure to read over your article as well.

    Cheers,
        Tyler

Attachment