Re: Win32 timezone matching - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Win32 timezone matching
Date
Re: Win32 timezone matching  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> yeah that is one aspect - and in talking to the OP he would have
> prefered the database not starting up at all, logging an error and a
> hint on setting a fixed timezone in the conf.

Well, you started from the statement that this was an embedded copy
of postgres ... so most users might not even know it was there,
much less to check its postmaster log for problems.  I'm still of
the opinion that refusing to start is an overreaction.

> Even if if keep the current fallback behaviour we should at least fix
> the windows codepath to do the same as the unix codepath does - as in
> actually logging that the fallback to GMT happened...

+1 for that anyway.  There already are WARNING messages for the various
Windows failure cases, but compared to the Unix code
       ereport(LOG,               (errmsg("could not determine system time zone, defaulting to \"%s\"", "GMT"),
errhint("Youcan specify the correct timezone in postgresql.conf.")));

they lack either the note about defaulting to GMT or the hint.  I guess
we should add both of those to the failure cases in the Windows version
of identify_system_timezone.  Should we also change the WARNING errlevel
to LOG?  I think the latter is more likely to actually get into the log.