Re: Win32 timezone matching - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Win32 timezone matching
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 21:01, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
>> Even if if keep the current fallback behaviour we should at least fix
>> the windows codepath to do the same as the unix codepath does - as in
>> actually logging that the fallback to GMT happened...
>
> +1 for that anyway.  There already are WARNING messages for the various
> Windows failure cases, but compared to the Unix code
>
>        ereport(LOG,
>                (errmsg("could not determine system time zone, defaulting to \"%s\"", "GMT"),
>        errhint("You can specify the correct timezone in postgresql.conf.")));
>
> they lack either the note about defaulting to GMT or the hint.  I guess
> we should add both of those to the failure cases in the Windows version
> of identify_system_timezone.  Should we also change the WARNING errlevel
> to LOG?  I think the latter is more likely to actually get into the log.

You are suggesting adding this after the "could not find match"
message, correct? Not replacing it? Because if we replace it, we loose
the information of what we failed to match. So basically like
attached?

Also, would LOG be *more* likely to be seen than a WARNING? Why would that be?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Attachment