Re: is this a bug or I am blind? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: is this a bug or I am blind?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:08:12AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Let's not fix it" is really not an acceptable answer, because the
> behavior in the affected locales is entirely broken (inconsistent,
> etc).  And how do you know which locales are affected, anyway?

I don't know which locales are affected. It just can't be that
widespread because we're not getting similar reports for 99% of the
locales out there. I'm not saying not fixing it is an option, it's just
that a second compare on equality is going to be a waste in >99% of
cases.

> (Also, to be blunt, the COLLATE feature is pie in the sky until it
> is done and supports indexes --- which I'm not sure you even know
> how to do yet.  I'm not prepared to assume it will be in 8.2.)

Oh, getting indexes to use COLLATE is (relatively) the easy part. Where
I'm mostly stuck on is teaching the planner how to decide which index
returns the right order for what it's looking for.

For example, should I be returning a seperate path for each possible
collation order. Obviously not, but there will certainly be several
orders returned depending on indexes, maybe others depending on any
ORDER BY clauses in the query. Getting *that* right is harder and my
planner knowledge isn't that great.

Right now I'm updating the code for CVS tip. pg_indent has a great way
of making large patches cease to work :(. Some other things seem to
have changed also. Oh well... It's not a huge amount of work, it's just
lots of interconnected pieces.

Have a nice day,

Attachment