Re: how to convert relational column to array? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: how to convert relational column to array?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 11:06:12AM -0500, george young wrote:
> create table new_tab(name text, id int, permits text[]);
>
> -- I insert one row per name:
> insert into new_tab select distinct name,id,cast('{}' as text[]) from old_tab;
>
> Now I want to fold all the 'permits' values into the new permits arrays.

In PostgreSQL 7.4 and later you can build an array from a select,
so I think the following update should work (it did for me when I
tested it):

UPDATE new_tab SET permits = array( SELECT permits FROM old_tab WHERE old_tab.name = new_tab.name AND old_tab.id =
new_tab.id
);

--
Michael Fuhr