Re: [SQL] Question on indexes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [SQL] Question on indexes
Date
List pgsql-general
Emil Rachovsky wrote:

> Hi,
> Can anyone show me a simple way of creating an index
> in PostGre like that:
> create index indName on someTable(someIntColumn DESC)
> ?

Not using that particular syntax, but you can do that if you create the
appropiate operator classes.  Note that if you want to use btree index
on a single column, you don't need to have a descending index, because
btree indexes can be scanned in either direction.  The opclass trick is
only needed if you want to have a multicolumn index.  (I guess in the
other access methods it doesn't make much sense to think of descending