Re: how to convert relational column to array? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From george young
Subject Re: how to convert relational column to array?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:54:49 -0700
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> threw this fish to the penguins:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 11:06:12AM -0500, george young wrote:
> > create table new_tab(name text, id int, permits text[]);
> >
> > -- I insert one row per name:
> > insert into new_tab select distinct name,id,cast('{}' as text[]) from old_tab;
> >
> > Now I want to fold all the 'permits' values into the new permits arrays.
>
> In PostgreSQL 7.4 and later you can build an array from a select,
> so I think the following update should work (it did for me when I
> tested it):
>
> UPDATE new_tab SET permits = array(
>   SELECT permits
>   FROM old_tab
>   WHERE old_tab.name = new_tab.name AND old_tab.id = new_tab.id
> );

That's exactly what I needed.  Works great.

Thanks,George
--
"Are the gods not just?"  "Oh no, child.
What would become of us if they were?" (CSL)