Re: Rule causes baffling error - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ken Winter
Subject Re: Rule causes baffling error
Date
List pgsql-sql
Richard ~

Let me zoom out for a moment, for the bigger picture.

As you have inferred, what I'm trying to do is develop a history-preserving
table ("my_data" in the example that started this thread).  *Most* user
programs would see and manipulate this table as if it contained only the
current rows (marked by effective_date_and_time <= 'now' and
expiration_date_and_time = 'infinity').

When these programs do an INSERT, I need automatic actions that set the
expiration and date timestamps to 'now' and 'infinity'; when they do an
UPDATE, I need automatic actions that save the old data in a history record
and expire it as of 'now' and the new data in a record that's effective
'now' and expires at 'infinity'; when they do a DELETE, I need an automatic
action to expire the target record as of 'now' rather than actually deleting
it.

However, I also need certain maintenance programs, designed to enable
certain users to correct inaccurately entered data.  These need to be able
to "rewrite history" by doing actions against "my_data" without these
automatic actions occurring.  It may prove advisable to provide some
automatic actions for these programs too, but they definitely won't be the
actions described above.  If the above actions were implemented as triggers,
all the ways I could think of to conditionally disable them (and possibly
replace them with other actions) seemed architecturally very klunky.  That's
when I decided I needed the "my_data_now" view, and from that I inferred
(apparently correctly) that the actions would have to be implemented as
rewrite rules.

The cascading problem was solkable.  But the solution was a bit hard to
reach because the user-invoked UPDATE action triggered both an INSERT and an
UPDATE on the same table (and user DELETE triggered an UPDATE), and so one
had to take into account that all of these triggered actions would cause
their triggers to fire again.  Not a deal-killer, but the solution felt
brittle.

Yes, I did consider having a "live" table and a separate "history" table.
The killer of that idea was my inability to find a way to implement foreign
keys that could refer to both tables and that could follow a record when it
was moved from "live" to "history".  Much of the history I'm trying to
preserve is not in the "my_data" table; it's in related tables that refer to
it.  I presumably could do this by not declaring the FKs to PostgreSQL, and
implementing the necessary referential integrity with triggers, but - well,
in a word, yuck.

As it happens, I have found a rewrite of my UPDATE rule that works, so my
immediate need is past.  FYI, the old update rule was:

CREATE OR REPLACE RULE upd_my_data_now ASON UPDATE TO my_data_nowDO INSTEAD    (    /* Update current record, and make
iteffective now. */    UPDATE my_data        SET id = NEW.id,             user_name = NEW.user_name,
effective_date_and_time= CURRENT_TIMESTAMP        WHERE effective_date_and_time = CURRENT_TIMESTAMP            AND id =
OLD.id;   /* Insert a record containing the old values,     and expire it as of now. */    INSERT INTO my_data (
effective_date_and_time,       expiration_date_and_time,           id,         user_name)         VALUES (
OLD.effective_date_and_time,           CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,            OLD.id,             OLD.user_name)    );

And the one that works is:

CREATE OR REPLACE RULE upd_my_data_now ASON UPDATE TO my_data_nowDO INSTEAD    (    /* Expire the current record. */
UPDATEmy_data        SET expiration_date_and_time = CURRENT_TIMESTAMP        WHERE effective_date_and_time =
OLD.effective_date_and_time            AND id = OLD.id                       AND effective_date_and_time <=
CURRENT_TIMESTAMP                      AND expiration_date_and_time >= CURRENT_TIMESTAMP;
/* Insert a record containing the new values,     effective as of now. */    INSERT INTO my_data (
effective_date_and_time,       id,         user_name)         VALUES (              CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
NEW.id,            NEW.user_name)    );

The relevant change is that I'm now expiring the record with the old data
and inserting the one with the new data, rather than vice versa.  I still
don't know why the old rule didn't work and this one does, but hey,
whatever.  Another advantage of the new one is that I don't have to re-point
foreign keys that were already pointed to the record containing the old
data, because that record stays in place.

(The other change, adding the lines     AND effective_date_and_time <= CURRENT_TIMESTAMP     AND
expiration_date_and_time>= CURRENT_TIMESTAMP;
to the UPDATE, was necessary to keep updates to the "my_data_now" from
updating the expired rows as well.)

Thanks for your help.  I hope this little essay is of some value to others.

~ Ken