Re: implement prepared queries in plperl - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Dmitry Karasik
Subject Re: implement prepared queries in plperl
Date
Re: implement prepared queries in plperl  (Dmitry Karasik <dmitry@karasik.eu.org>)
List pgsql-patches
> Dmitry,
>
> please supply documentation (i.e. a patch to the SGML) to accompany this
> patch, or at the very least a description of how it works, with the
> promise of proper documentation to follow.

I am willing to write a proper documentation, but I haven't found the place
where to add descriptions for the new functions, and neither the SGML document
you're referring to, but I can submit a patch to it if you tell me where it is.
If you take this as a promise of proper documentation, I'll explain in short
how it works here:

I added the following functions:

* spi_prepare( $QUERY, @ARGUMENT_TYPES) : $PREPARED_QUERY - prepares a query
  with typed parameters, returns a prepared query token.

* spi_exec_prepared( $PREPARED_QUERY, [%ATTRIBUTES], @ARGUMENTS) : $RESULT -
executes a prepared query, returns the result in the same format as
spi_exec_query() does. %ATTRIBUTES currently recognizes the only integer
'limit', which is the same as limit in spi_exec_query().

* spi_query_prepared( $PREPARED_QUERY, @ARGUMENTS) : $CURSOR - same as spi_query(),
but instead of a text query statement, expects a result of spi_prepare() as the
first parameter.

* spi_freeplan( $PREPARED_QUERY) - frees the prepared query, must be called explicitly.

* spi_cursor_close($CURSOR) - a wrapper around SPI_cursor_close(),
to cancel a query session early, which would normally be freed after the last
spi_fetchrow() is called. $CURSOR is returned either by spi_query() or
spi_query_prepared().

There are also the following fixes to the existing code:

- A fix to memory leaks in spi_fetchrow(), by replacing newSV(0) that is intended
to signal an error but was never freed, to PL_sv_undef that is safe to return
as a non-mortal scalar.

- Replace (pointer_type*) SvIV(pointer) to INT2PTR( pointer_type*, SvUV(pointer)),
to extinguish warnings.

- Changed logic in plperl_spi_query() which I don't think correctly handled the
case when SPI_prepare() fails.

--
Sincerely,
    Dmitry Karasik