Re: TODO-Item: Rename of constraints - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Joachim Wieland
Subject Re: TODO-Item: Rename of constraints
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:54:44PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 10:24 +0100, Joachim Wieland wrote:

> >         o %Allow ALTER TABLE ... ALTER CONSTRAINT ... RENAME
> >         o Have ALTER INDEX update the name of a constraint using that index
> >         o Add ALTER TABLE RENAME CONSTRAINT, update index name also

> My compiler complains:
> pg_constraint.c: In function ???RenameConstraint???:
> pg_constraint.c:726: warning: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and
> code

Sorry, that's some leftover from code rearrangements. I attach a new version
of the patch, this time in the requested context-diff format which I forgot
to create the other day.

> This probably allows you to rename an inherited constraint to another
> name. Not sure if that is a problem, but it probably ought to throw an
> error, but I'm not sure who would care.

I thought about that but since the constraint gets copied anyway and you
have two (more or less) independent constraints afterwards I didn't see a
reason why it should be forbidden to rename it. One could throw a warning at
least but I don't remember many cases where postgresql issues a warning
saying: "hey, what you're doing might be bad but I'll do it anyway". If
the consensus on this one however is to forbid it or issue a warning at
least, it would be no problem to detect this situation once your inherited
constraint patch is in.

> I'll test some more to see if my work on inherited constraints conflicts
> in any way.

Ok, thanks.

Joachim

Attachment