Re: win32 8.1 pgadmin dll issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: win32 8.1 pgadmin dll issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 04:24:46PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > My dev box was running 8.1rc1 and I thought it was time to
> > put 8.1 on it.  I downloaded the 8.1 binaries-only dist off
> > of postgresql.org (bt version), did a binary swap on my
> > server and nothing ran...it turns out all the binaries like
> > initdb.exe, postgres.exe have a dll dependency on various
> > pgAdmin dlls like comerr32.dll and several others.  pgAdmin
> > was not installed on my server so nothing worked.  I copied
> > the .dlls from the pgAdmin folder on my workstation and
> > postgres starts up.
>
> Exactly what DLLs are those?
> comerr32.dll is a Kerberos DLL and not a pgAdmin DLL..

I wonder if this is an artifact of the "link everything into every
binary even if we don't use it" procedure. Hence the postmaster can
depend on readline even though it doesn't use it.

With gcc we're proposing --as-needed to resolve this, but how would
that work for a windows platform? Can you examine a binary to see what
it depends on?

Hope this helps,