Re: BUG #1883: Renaming a schema leaves inconsistent sequence - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: BUG #1883: Renaming a schema leaves inconsistent sequence
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 10:29:21PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> To my mind the appropriate fix is to come up with some arrangement
> that allows the stored form of NEXTVAL(seq) to specify the referenced
> sequence directly (by OID) rather than as a text string.  There are some
> speculations about this in the archives, but no really workable solution
> yet.
>
> (wanders off, wondering if a "regclass" literal value would help ...)

Wouldn't it be easy to create a nextval(oid) function, and have SERIAL
emit that instead?

--
Alvaro Herrera                         Architect, http://www.EnterpriseDB.com
"Endurecerse, pero jamás perder la ternura" (E. Guevara)