Re: dbf to pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent Wood
Subject Re: dbf to pgsql
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Piotr wrote:

> Hi,
> Im lookig for tool to regulary transfer data from dbf files into pgsql.
> Would be excellent if the tool would have data tranformation
> possibility.

A simplistic approach but workable would be to use the dbfinfo/dbfdump
programs which are part of the shapelib tools at www.maptools.org.

These allow you to dump the data description & data itself as text which
could then be COPY'd into a table built in Postgres.

An ODBC link may also work, but it's not something I've tried, (I have a
feeling there is an ODBC driver for dbf files, if not then the above dumps
can be opened with teh ODBC text driver & transferred to Postgres.

Brent Wood